Yoga is an ancient practice that creates a feeling of unity in all parts of ourselves; in body, mind, and soul. In order to obtain peace, people have been practicing yoga for thousands of years.
Moving your body into poses and movements is the most generally known type of yoga. Yoga allows you to become more aware of your breathing and interconnectivity of your body and mind. Additionally, Yoga can help you become overall more healthier and happier. Come as you are – rest assured that anyone can practice yoga and reap multitudes of benefits. Even cats naturally perform yoga and look how flexible they are!
The top 7 benefits of practicing yoga for self-care:
1. Sleep better – Sleep comes easier by helping you to relax and breath more deeply. People that practice yoga have reported they sleep more soundly. And, for those that don’t sleep, be prepared to sleep now!
2. Reduce stress – Life is just plain stressful with all the multi-tasking we do these days. Stress can cause so many issues, but one thing it can do is cause shallow breathing which further complicates our delicate body systems. Creating an overall relaxation to our bodies by way of connecting our minds to our bodies via movement and breathing can help lessen the effects of stress.
3. Boost immunity – It’s no surprise how stress and loss of sleep can wreck havoc on our bodies. When practicing yoga, our mind and bodies start to connect and create a more balanced rhythm which in turn increases our immunity to illness and disease.
4. Improved posture – Sitting at a desk all day or slouching in front of the TV causes poor posture. How many times have you seen a person on the street looking slouched over like a slight version of ‘The Hunch Back of Notre Dame’? That’s an extreme visual, but you get my point. Not to mention, having a good posture can boost our self-esteem. Yoga helps to bend and stretch all of our joints and tendons thus creating a much better posture.
5. Boost in sex drive – Of course, the hustle and bustle of life brings us unwanted stress further complicating our lives and relationships with a lack of a sex drive. When practicing yoga, our bodies start to become like a well oiled machine that mends any miss-firings in connectivity between mind and body. It’s no secret that stress can inhibit our desires. Give yoga a try and you will see a difference in your earthly desires.
6. Bonus benefit – You will see an increase in flexibility. One of yoga’s claim to fame is becoming more flexible.
I could go on an on about the benefits of yoga. Take a look around and you will see that the most healthiest beings on the planet practice yoga. Anyone can do yoga – give it a try!
My picks for yoga products:
I love this mat – it helps when beginning to learn yoga.
This is a great book for newbies.
And, if you are a more visual person and would like to see yoga in motion.